Subject: Re: Software as a public service
From: Alan Hudson <giles@yumetech.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 14:38:24 -0700

Russell McOrmond wrote:

> Alan Hudson wrote:
>
> It is funny: when it is software we don't hesitate to run test cases,
> but when it is policy we seem paralyzed.  If you want to know what the
> results of an ATiP request is for software, then run a test case.  The
> worst case is that your test case may fail and you'll then have a
> core-dump to take to your government representative.

In the source files we hand over to government we've already put a
license agreement at the top(typically LGPL, but sometimes BSD if
asked).  So if you got a faxed copy of this code back, would you have to
follow that license agreement?

Typically its just going to say:

(c) Blah, Inc 1997  - All rights reserved.

Ie no real license, just a statement of all rights reserved.  I don't
see how having a copy of this source will be of use for future
programming.  Fine for information/compatibility(good step), but not for
software usage.