Subject: Re: Down with the GPL!
From: Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 23:52:25 +0200

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 13:46 -0700, DV Henkel-Wallace wrote:
> I am astonished to find the text in a standard document.
>
> Grr.

I find that wonderful.

1. get hired, sign the paper

2. ship the legal header of every single software or library you
include/use/develop with, legal condition of every manual, web page and
document containing code you read while at work, same for textbook
containing and open source code you read before working there.
If you're using Microsoft, that would make a few thousand pages of legal
text, many more if you have different versions of various things. If you
can't find a licence, ask the company lawyers to find one. If they say
blanket okay for company X software, point out in writing funny points
in various licence (I believe some MSVC licence said you couldn't ship
debug compiled software or things like that).

3. refuse to write any code before receiving an in writing answer from
your company legal department, show your legally binding paper if people
get angry.

4. browse web, play minesweeper a lot, earn money

5. if you have to write code, find something similar using google or
your memory from textbooks, send your code and the similar code to
your company lawyer and wait for lawyer answer before commiting to your
company official repository.

6. if they fire you, just say you were respecting your legal obligation
and the all important IP rights of others and that the delay is due to
company inefficient organization at handling legal matters and not your
fault, get some lawyer handle the case for you and take X% of the damage
and have some fun.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and I don't live in a country where people
have to sign such junk contracts to get paid and work in a productive
environment.

Laurent