Subject: Re: Software as a public service
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 16:19:47 +0900

    Bernard> In France we now have an organisation called ADULLACT
    Bernard> (see adullact.org, in French), that aims at helping
    Bernard> administrative bodies and local governement to pool their
    Bernard> resources and their software investment.  The software
    Bernard> produced is generally free (mostly GPL, I think).

Good for France!  There have been similar, but more complex and not as
beneficial arrangements (ie, they were gated communities) tried in the
U.S.  There are also within-state efforts.  North Carolina has a
fairly substantial one.  I doubt that NC requires open sourcing or
that the majority is open source, although Red Hat is prominently
featured as a standard vendor for *nix systems.  It's more of an open
standards effort.

Japan is way behind, unfortunately (at least my undergraduate
student's graduation thesis didn't turn up any, although there is a
lot of usage of Linux and Apache in Japanese local government).

    Bernard>   The association can finance new software or improve
    Bernard> existing software.  It is all on a voluntary basis
    Bernard> ... and it is organized so that the rule for public
    Bernard> procurement are respected (i.e. the association follows
    Bernard> those rules on behalf of the members).

So this is not a "law", it's "enlightened consumerism."  That's a
really big win.

    Bernard> Though it is mostly directed to meet the specialized need
    Bernard> of the members, the code is available to all.

Better than that, I would expect that they also advertise and catalog
their software on the website, precisely because of their cooperative
nature.  That's the part that I don't expect any individual government
department to do well on.