Subject: Re: Open Source -> Closed Source
From: Santiago Gala <sgala@hisitech.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 16:25:55 +0200
Fri, 13 May 2005 16:25:55 +0200
El vie, 13-05-2005 a las 17:04 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull escribió:
> The point of the GPL is to ensure that future versions, as well as the
> present one, are free.  But there is a loophole---if you are the
> copyright owner.  So why are people so confident that software
> monopolized by the FSF will stay free?

I have not tracked exhaustively the FSF, but I'm a member and PMC
Chairman of the Apache Software Foundation, and our Certificate of
incorporation says:

"The purpose of the Corporation is to engage in any lawful act or
activity for which corporations which are organized not for profit may
be organized under the General Corporation Law of the State of Delaware,
including the creation and maintenance of "open source" software
distributed by the Corporation to the public at no charge."
Furthermore, the way the Apache Software License works means that, it
the ASF somehow dissolved, any third party would be able to take on the
code of a project XXX just by:
- changing the name (so as not to claim they are the "original" XXX)
- acknowledging that, some time in the past, something called ASF was in
charge of XXX.

Regards
--
Santiago Gala <sgala@hisitech.com>