Subject: Re: Down with the GPL!
From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby@henkel-wallace.org>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 08:12:34 -0700

 Fri, 13 May 2005 08:12:34 -0700
On 13 May 2005, at 00:53, Raphaël Luta wrote:
> Beware of the law in France, court interpretation is pretty favorable
> companies and for example, copyright on any software developped on a
> company-owned computer is automatically assigned to the company, even
> you code at home, outside of work hours and the software is not
> related to your job for the company (Cour d´Appel de Nancy, 1ère
> chambre, 13 septembre 1994).
>
> Don't code any of your own software on a company laptop !

Personally I find  this  completely reasonable.

California law implements the dual of this: companies cannot assert any
claim to work 1> unrelated to their business, && 2 >not on their time,
&& 3> not using anything they own from belonging to you.  California
Labor Code Section 2870 which is usually appended to any employee
proprietary and assignment agreement.

I find it shocking that other States (as a recent case in Texas proved)
don't have such a requirement.

If you want to do your own thing, use your own time and equipment.  Big
deal.  The company can choose not to get annoyed if I take a call from
my wife during work time, but they also have a right to ask me not to,
especially if it gets in the way of my or others' work.  But they can't
say anything about my calls and such on the way home.

-g