Subject: Re: Software as a public service
From: Ben Tilly <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:07:09 -0700

 Fri, 13 May 2005 11:07:09 -0700
On 5/13/05, Russell McOrmond <russell@flora.ca> wrote:
> [...]
[...]
>    There is also a test case where a law professor Marcus Bornfreund
> http://www.commonlaw.uottawa.ca/faculty/prof/mbornfreund/desce.htm
> is doing an ATIP request for Termium, the software and database behind
> http://www.termium.gc.ca/  .  Because we know the contractor who
> actually wrote the software for the government we know that it was
> developed on a Linux box with PERL/etc, and then installed on their
> Solaris box.
[...]

Random tip.  The language is Perl, not PERL.  It is not an acronym.
Since a lot of people get tripped up on this, I'll cc the whole list.

As perlfaq1 says:

   What's the difference between "perl" and "Perl"?

   One bit.  Oh, you weren't talking ASCII? :-) Larry now uses "Perl" to
   signify the language proper and "perl" the implementation of it, i.e.
   the current interpreter.  Hence Tom's quip that "Nothing but perl can
  parse Perl."  You may or may not choose to follow this usage.  For
   example, parallelism means "awk and perl" and "Python and Perl" look
   OK, while "awk and Perl" and "Python and perl" do not.  But never write
   "PERL", because perl is not an acronym, apocryphal folklore and post-
   facto expansions notwithstanding.

In case you point to the expansion at the top of the Perl man-page,
I'll point to the second post-facto expansion in the BUGS section.
Both of those are in-jokes invented by Larry Wall.

I mention this because every good Perl hacker knows this, and
furthermore the vast majority assume that anyone who says PERL
doesn't know the language well.  For instance if your job ad says
PERL, the people you really want already have racked up one
strike against you.  Conversely PERL on a resume is usually a
bad sign.

If you don't care that Perl people will immediately categorize you
as someone who doesn't have much experience with Perl, then
feel free to ignore this advice.

Cheers,
Ben